Name:
Location: Puyallup, Washington, United States

I'm just a normal 40 hour a week, working woman that is trying to save money wherever she can. I have a wonderful husband and two big kitties and hope to have children in the near future. I enjoy being around my huge extended family, playing softball, and various games of all kinds.

Monday, August 22, 2005

I have to just make it, one day at a time

so I get a call at 8 in the morning from my mom about my dad. She had taken him into the emergency room the night before for headaches and leakage from his surgery site. Well it turns out he has bacterial meningitis (sp??) and if anyone remembers, I think only Sam, Ryan and Bill might, that is what my best friend Scott died from my junior year of college unexpectedly. So needless to say, I'm completely freaked out, sitting here at work because I have to be here and not able to really concentrate on anything else. I drove here not really remembering that I drove certain parts of it. Very scary realization.

So I got to the hospital ASAP yesterday after my little panic attack of reliving Scott's thing and he has to go in for emergency surgery to repair a tear in my dad's spinal cord. Now he had back surgery a couple weeks ago where this little nick came from. I have plenty of words to say to that doctor right now, but i'll spare you. So they stitched the hole, graphed it, and glued it and that "should" work the doctor says. Who the hell knows, ya know!! And so now he has to stay in the ICU, oh yeah he's been in the ICU this whole time, for 24 more hours. Then "we'll see." Meanwhile, they have to give him antibiotics for the meningitis part, which was caused by spinal fluid leaking and getting effected. He can have seizures, go into a coma and many other things until this disease is out of his body, and the best part.....Who the hell knows when that is going to be. So my father is going to spend at least a week in the hosp. That's the least amount.

I had to share this because well, I only had one friend to call during all this and I could barely tell her, well because they don't really care. And since I really consider you guys my closest friends, besides Amanda and Christy, I needed to vent. Sorry.

14 Comments:

Blogger nell said...

I'm so sorry! How scary for you and your family. I hope he pulls through ok from this. Take care of yourself, too! It's not worth zoning out while driving and getting hurt yourself, ok? Take a day off work. It's a family emergency. *hugs*

8/22/2005 12:56 PM  
Blogger Rama said...

you can always call me hun. Your dad's a strong guy, in both and spirit... he'll make it through.

8/22/2005 1:41 PM  
Blogger Ozzy said...

shit girl...you knwo you can always call me...i can't always answer, and my phone barely gets reception around this base, but, um..there's always the chance you could get me and we could talk.
but yeah, i remember your friend, and i'm sorry your dad's going through all this, but it sounds like they got to it early, so odds are good. don't try to read too much into what the doctor says, s/he's just trying to cover their ass. i 'm sure this has gotta be hell for ya, but you gotta think that he'll make it through, instead of thinking about what might happen instead.
my phone stays on til the battery goes dead, so if you wanna talk, feel free to call. *hugs*

8/22/2005 3:08 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

just a little update, not a lot of time, going to kill some doctors and some nurses. maybe if i sit in his room with a bb gun, they would treat him better. or a tazor...haha yeah yeah.

8/23/2005 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Call if you need to, any of us, we're all here and hoping for the best

8/23/2005 3:51 PM  
Blogger angimally said...

brad and i are thinking about you! *hugs*

8/23/2005 5:10 PM  
Blogger nell said...

what are they doing to him, that you feel the need for a tazer?! heheh.

8/23/2005 5:58 PM  
Blogger Rama said...

bugga. I will hurt them with my enormous mind powers... (squint)

8/24/2005 5:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

haha. thanks guys. he's not getting any better at the moment. one doctor thinks it'll pass in the next couple of days and the super powerful antibiotics will start working. Another thinks the leak might still be there. They have no idea and it's pissing me off. The nurses are huge biotches!! Well not all, but most. A couple decided it would be fun to play crash up derby with him and to keep stopping the bed so he can slide on his surgery wound. Brilliant medical staff!! Then they forget to check his vitals, and do all the nurse stuff so I'm there constantly bugging them. It just amazes me these people chose this profession.

8/24/2005 7:23 AM  
Blogger nell said...

hon, any other hospitals he could move too? or too dangerous to move him right now?

8/24/2005 8:04 AM  
Blogger Rama said...

I'm surprised the hospital is still running. What's it called? I can check with a few of my lawyer friends about medical malpractice problems at that hospital...

8/24/2005 8:18 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It's Tacoma General and the doctor's name is Shoenfielder I think. Right now I don't think he can move. Since this was under an L & I claim in the first place, I'm not sure how this is all working out financially.

8/24/2005 8:43 AM  
Blogger Rama said...

hmm... from what I've gathered, you may have a claim, depending on how easy it would be to prove that the sliding on the wound actually was the cause of his stagnant recovery. Sounds like something that should be easy to prove, but it's not usually. It would require bringing in an outside expert, which can get expensive. There are a few negligence claims against the hospital in the past, but most I've found are from the 1970s.

8/25/2005 5:11 AM  
Blogger liz said...

*more hugs*

8/26/2005 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home